Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Next Generation of Browsers

The Next Generation of Browsers


Its been noted all over the place that the browser wars are starting again (well, theyve been going strong for the last few years). Ive been a long-time Firefox user ever since I forced myself to live with the browser for a month just to try it out. I coudnt go back to IE.

Ive tried Safari, Opera and Chrome without feeling too tempted. I was impressed by the design of Chrome but the lack of familiar features (add-ons and scripting) failed to win me over. Ill admit though that Ive found Opera to be the browser of choice on the Blackberry.

Recently, I decided to give IE8 a go. Ok, so it was on the morning of the FIRST day of release but that doesnt mean Ill be lining up for any other MS products. I decided to see how well it worked doing the normal things I do every day.

It almost made 45 minutes but then it crashed and I havent used it much since then.

I then switched my attention back to the Chrome 2.0 beta browser I had been testing. Ive been using this as my main browser for nearly three solid weeks now. Ive left it running overnight on most nights and its still as fast as ever. Remember, this is a BETA product. I was willing to tolerate some crashes but thus far, I havent experienced one.

I also expected to have problems accessing some sites but Ive had no problems so far. Ive been right through all the major Google apps, iNotes and many of the major news and social networking sites. It also works with our intranet and extranet.

Im impressed.

Im not sure that I can live without Sharaholic or my "Copy as plain text" menu option but Ive discovered that I need to start Firefox up for one of these less than three times per day. Im also missing my Google Toolbar (for some reason it isnt available in Chrome).

Im not ready to dump Firefox for Chrome yet - but I dont want to dump Chrome 2.0 either since it has proven to be even more stable than Firefox. I cant afford to have three browsers, so I guess its goodbye IE8.

download file now