Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Human Face of Big Data App

The Human Face of Big Data App


The Human Face of Big Data

We all know that technology is a major factor, if not the factor, when it comes to data mining. Massive amounts of computing power are required to process all of the information available to those interested. However, after recent discussions in class regarding social networking, it became apparent that it is difficult to retrieve all of this data without violating the privacy of users around the world. I for one know that I did not enter the world of Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the notion that my personal life would be available to anyone who knows how to use a computer. This got me thinking about volunteering certain information. If I could volunteer myself for observation during a particular amount of time, and then be left alone, I would be more than willing to lend my interests to the marketing tycoons of the world. I am sure for most of us that our cell phones are the best indicator as to what we are interested whether it be looking at browser history or the apps on your phone.

This leads me to the topic of this particular post. I searched for phone apps that indicate personal interests based on your phone activity. I stumbled across an app, available to Droid and iOS users. The app is called "The Human Face of Big Data." The app asks you to anonymously agree to submit data your phone collects on a daily basis. Users may also choose to answer questions. You may then be directed to similar users around the world that use similar data sources, essentially creating a doppleganger based on your data profile. The creators of this particular application were looking to provide more information on how humans live, work, and wind down. Initial data collection took place over one week last year, beginning September 26th and ending October 2nd. Ive attached the article Ive read on the application, and if anyone finds more on this particular app, please let me know. 


http://lifehacker.com/5946396/the-human-face-of-big-data-compares-you-to-millions-of-people-around-the-world

download file now